Jaisalmer, the Golden City, the home to the famous Thar Desert is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. The idea time to visit Jaisalmer is between September and March because the weather is not too warm. Some of the most outstanding film makers like John Madden, Wes Anderson and Christopher Nolen seem to absolutely love the Golden City. With its colorful people, barren fields and magnificent architecture, the exotic landscapes of Rajasthan make a perfect background to some famous shoot scenes. If you’re an Indian and you still haven’t visited Jaisalmer, then we hope this post will inspire you.
Visiting Jaisalmer – What are the things that’ll inspire you?
- You’ll feel like you’re a part of Arabian Nights
The fascinating architecture of Jaisalmer will take you back in time and the mystery in the atmosphere will give you the eerie feeling of being a part of Arabian Nights with tales of camels, deserts, harems and everything that is exotic. The Jaisalmer fort is as big as the city and is situated just next to it; it appears to be a portion of the castle itself with its unmatched sandstone architecture.
- Get captivated with the display of colors from Sunrise to Sunset
Every hotel, house and shop within the city feels like it’s an extension of the fort, because it’s all yellow in color. When you stay there and experience how the honey-colored city turns Golden under the sun, you will actually understand how and why it has earned the name of Golden City. There are many viewpoints inside the forts and also outside for tourists to watch the sunset.
- Have a regal stay in either a Haveli or a fort
The humongous Jaisalmer fort is a functional fort and there are enormous rooms where you can actually stay. Even outside the fort, there are a number of Havelis which are called Royal Houses with massive rooms for people to stay. You should visit Killa Bhawan within the fort or their lodge which is called KB lodge for their rooftop restaurant.
- Indulge in impulsive shopping
Even if you’re not much of a shopper, this city has the ability to charm you with its colorful shops displaying the quintessential boho chic clothes in the form of long flowy skirts, camel leather bags, mirror work boleros and shoes. You got to haggle for the best bargain here!
Things to do in Jaisalmer – It’s all about adventure!
- Experience dune bashing: If you’re still of the opinion that dune bashing is only an adventure sports for the Arabs, thing again! The desert areas of Jaisalmer give you an ideal location for dune bashing. The Sam Sand dunes are thronged by hundreds of adventure lovers who love sports. The yellow sands, the daylight hues, the red and pink forts and the Arabian night dances will capture your hearts.
- Parasailing at Jaisalmer: Fly high up in the air and enjoy the golden sand dunes of the Thar Desert. You’ll get helped by trained professionals who will reach you parasailing in its truest form.
- Paramotoring at Jaisalmer: Hug yourself with a bird’s eye view and glide away with desert birds while you paramotor high above in the Jaisalmer Desert. Their team will ensure that you’re gliding at the right height and they will be taking your pictures while paramotoring.
- Quad biking in Jaisalmer: In case you’re looking for an amazing quad biking experience, this is going to be the perfect tour for you. Get a chance to drive a 200cc or 570 cc 4X4 as per your convenience. You can have an amazing experience with sightseeing.
Apart from all the above mentioned attractions, Jaisalmer has a wide array of restaurants and cafes which specialize in European food. Don’t miss their ‘ker sangria’, ‘jungle maas’ and ‘laal maas’. From its stridulous clean roads to the hospitality of the ever-smiling residents, a trip to Jaisalmer is definitely going to leave you with memories that will last for a lifetime. Hence, make sure you don’t miss this place at any cost!