Dalhousie is revered for its natural beauty and pleasant climate and is one of the most famous hill stations in Himachal Pradesh. It is located in the district of Chamba at an altitude of 2000 meters. Dalhousie is situated at the Western end of the Dhauladhar Range and is surrounded by snow-capped peaks. The place was named after the founder, Lord Dalhousie, the British Governor General in India. With Scottish architecture, Victorian style mansions and other colonial buildings, this place is definitely a destination to look forward to.
Dalhousie is a famous destination for honeymooners as it offers a spectacular view of the snow-clad Pir Panjal mountain range which is located in J&K, Chamba’s Pangi valley and Sach pass. The enchanting valley of Khajjiar is also popular among the visitors as it offers a beautiful landscape.
Top destinations you shouldn’t miss out in Dalhousie
The small town is still admirable for its colonial architecture and neatly planned streets. If you’re there in Dalhousie, here are some of the best places which you can visit there.
This is often given the nickname of mini Switzerland of India; Khajjiar is a rather small hill town which is situated at a short distance from Dalhousie. This town is entirely surrounded by pine trees and thick covers of deodar. The Khajjiar Lake is of the most serene and amazing picnic spots because you also get the snow-capped Himalayas as the backdrop. The Khajjinag temple is also a popular attraction there.
#2: Kalatop Wildlife Reserve
The high altitude forests of the Kalatop Wildlife Reserve are located at an altitude of 2500 metres above sea level. These forests are also called Kalatop Khajjiar Sanctuary and are situated between oak forests, thick pine and deodar. The Kalatop Khajjiar Sanctuary also covers an area of 30.70 square kilometres and is home to various fauna like pheasants, Black bear and black marten.
#3: Kalatop Rest House
When you walk through the thick forests of pine trees on the way to the Kala tope will lead to a picturesque picnic spot. The Kala Tope Rest House is a government rest house which is accessible by walking and the amazing views that you get from the place are great and you can visit them with friends and family.
#4: Dainkund Peak
The highest point of the mountain reaches up to a monolithic height of 2745 meters above the sea level. The Dainkund Peak is usually termed as a singing hill and the top of the hill is filled with Indian Air Force. Tourists don’t get access to this place without permit. The mountain can be used as one of the best spots for trekking and also offers a panoramic view of the full valley.
Reasons to visit Dalhousie
- Splendid beauty: This hill station is built in and around 5 hills in HP. As it is located in the western side, it is undoubtedly surrounded by snow-capped peaks. You will be left mesmerized.
- Snow: The snow that you get here actually uplifts the beauty of this place to another level. It is extremely comforting and serene.
- Food for adventure: Water sports, trekking, paragliding, you name it and you get it there. You get a wide array of choices for people who love thrills and adventure. If you thought all this happens only in Goa, you are mistaken.
- The cuisine: When it comes to travel, food always plays a huge role. The kali daal, mutton preparations, aloo palda are a must try when you visit Dalhousie.
- The hotels: The location of most of the hotels is a bonus to their facilities offered. You can be sure of spending your vacation in a grand way in some of these villas.
So, what are you waiting for? Get ready for your next winter vacation to Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh and make it a memorable trip of your life.