1) Tell us something about yourself?
We are Param and Shikha, a film-making couple. Shikha directs. Param shoots. Apart from movies and photography, we love travelling, nature, wildlife, great food, culture, interestingness. So its but natural this blog was on our minds, and we finally got around to starting it at www.theuntourists.com
Why are we The Untourists?
Because we love being away from crowds and tourists. So we are always looking for that unknown untouristy place or look for untouristy things to do in a popular place. We like to experience, observe, and explore life through our lens, though cultures unknown to us and through authentic foods that we can’t resist, once served, even for a picture!
2) After visiting which place you started your blog?
We decided to start a blog mostly because of the growing pile of pictures we had. We are both avid photographers, and didn’t know what to do with the pictures, and decided to start our own blog. Of course, our pictures were related to our travel, so it eventually became a travel blog.
3) What is the one thing you can never travel without?
Our offline maps on our smartphone. (Of course not considering things like wallet and cards etc). Maps give you the confidence to push the boundary on discovering or following a more interesting route.
4) What’s the first ever trip in your life and how old were you back then?
It was probably a drive to Matheran. I must have been some 26?
5) What makes “TheUntourists” so distinctive from its contemporary blogs?
Our determination to not be ‘touristy’, and focus on do-able travels for couples.
6) What is the most unique experience you’ve ever had while travelling?
Our stay at the Pench Maharastra forest. It was pitch dark, and we could hear alternate calls of the chitals and the langurs, suggesting a large predator was around. The same night, outside our little forest cottage, we saw two bright eyes, not more than 8-10 feet away. The next morning, the care taker told us there was a leopard on campus. We also found some pug marks around the campus. So we probably had a leopard right next to our cottage balcony!
7) How do you decide on a destination? What are key factors behind your every selection?
Well, of us the key factor is (apart from its interestingness) how less crowded it would be. We often call hotels and ask them for their off seasons. We try to avoid ravelling on long weekends. We always always shy away from the rush of ‘tourists’.
8) How much time do you spend on computer, smart phone, or any other gadgets while you are on a trip?
The smartphone is continuously connected to the maps app. And we use the internet on the phone or laptop to check and book hotels, but else while on travel, we don’t use gadgets too much. Defeats the point of the travel, doesn’t it?
9) Do you idolize anyone in particular that inspires you for travelling and blogging?
Not really. Travel is a very personal thing, and at least we don’t feel that way about anyone.
10) What’s the lesson you have learnt from your travelling experiences?
That we haven’t seen enough. 🙂
You can find us on our blog at http://www.theuntourists.com or on twitter as @theuntourists or on Instagram as @theuntourists and also on FB-https://www.facebook.com/theuntourists/ or Pinterest as @TheUntourists.