‘Pile of corpses’ is the literal meaning of Rohtang Pass and despite all the people who sacrificed their lives while crossing this pass, yet in recent times this remains one of the most popular tourist attractions in India which lures thousands of people from the country with its extremely captivating beauty. Rohtang Pass is considered as one of those few destinations in India where you can ski as it snows for almost the entire part of the year. But due to the fact that it remains closed for 6 months every year, you should be ready to witness swarms of people during the remaining other half of the year who are eagerly waiting to explore this 13,000 feet high destination of North India.
Rohtang Pass – Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Situated at a height of 3979 metres and at a distance of 52 kms from Manali, Rohtang Pass is situated on the highway of Leh-Keylong. During the winter season, this pass remains closed but it is kept open from June to October for vehicles. Rohtang Pass is a gateway to Lahaul Spiti, Leh Valley and Pangi. The best time during which you can visit the pass is between May and June and October and November. For the adventure enthusiasts, Rohtang Pass becomes a hotspot and the most loved destination in the month of May. Tourists and travelers can go for different thrilling activities like skiing, snow scooter and mountain biking. Nature lovers can love the beautiful views of peaks, glaciers and the Chandra River which flows down the nearby valley.
There is yet another lovely waterfall which is named as Rahala and is located at a distance of 16 kms from Manali on the way to Rohtang Pass. The water of this fall flows from an altitude of 2500 metres and it looks amazingly beautiful. If you’re a photo buff, you shouldn’t miss this pass as you will get an opportunity to click some of your best pictures with nature. You may either take a bus or hire a local cab as driving to Rohtang Pass becomes pretty tough with narrow curves and slippery road. If you remember the famous song ‘Yeh Ishq Haaye’ from the movie Jab We Met was shot at Rohtang Pass.
Useful tips from experts for your Rohtang Pass trip
- Rohtang Pass is a destination which attracts more than 25 lakh visitors in a year but at the same time it is devoid of any basic amenities like clean eateries, toilet etc.
- You will be able to hire snow clothes from the many shops that you find at Manali. Rs. 200 – Rs.325 is the cost of snow suits per person. The dress will include full suite for your body, snow boots and gloves.
- There are hundreds of shacks and shops which offer snow dresses and it is definitely better to hire such snow clothes from a shop than from a shack. Check your gloves and boots carefully as many are torn. Wearing torn boots can be dangerous.
- It is always a wiser decision to go to Rohtang Pass by taxi which you can hire from Him Anchal Taxi Union at Manali than by the tourist buses. The HPTDC buses stop at a distance from the main action zone. Buses are more expensive than taxis.
- Make sure you start your trip early so that you don’t get stuck in traffic. Most of the taxi drivers aren’t too tourist-friendly and hence you may not depend on them much. You would require being on guard and you should also be firm about what you will pay to the taxi or for the snow dress, snowmobile etc.
The Snow Point in Rohtang Pass is not any particular location but it is a stretch of snow on the way to Rohtang La and during peak winter season, the Snow Point gets close to Manali. The overwhelming enthusiasm of the tourists converts the snow point to some sort of snow theme park. Honeymooners and tourists can indulge in different snow activities like yak rides, snow scooters, Amateur skiing and throwing snowballs at each other.