Sri Lanka brings an instant idea of a tiny island country in the Indian Ocean. But that is the only tiny factor about the country. Sri Lanka, earlier known as Ceylon, boasts a rich culture and history and is home to an entire ancient civilization. However, do you think it’s the only cool thing about the island? Well, then you have probably missed its elegant natural beauty including rich natural diversity consisting of mountains, vast plantations of tea, rubber, coconut, etc. or the ever charming beaches that attracts millions of tourists from across the globe. It has rich cultural diversity due to past colonization by the Dutch, Portuguese, and British.
Here are the mesmerizing places in Sri Lanka you can’t afford to miss:
- Yala National Park –
- At a distance of 240km from the capital city of Colombo lays a vast green territory ruled by wild animals like elephant, water buffalo, leopards, etc. The scenic beauty and the closeness to nature will mesmerize you. Animals are not only the attraction here as it is also home to 215different species of birds. Who wouldn’t like to go on a safari to cherish the wildlife?
- Polonnaruwa –
- The term “beauty” generally goes well with “Beasts”, but at Polonnaruwa, “Beauty” goes best with “Ruins”. The one stop destination for the historical ruin geeks, the ancient city of Polonnaruwa holds some of the historical wonders and is a UNESCO heritage site. Around 1000 years ago, it was the capital city and is home to some amazing Buddha statues and statues of the famous rulers. You can let your imagination run wild to wonder about the times when it was at the peak of its power or when it was a dense vine covered natural beauty discovered by colonists.
- Mirissa –
- It’s the ideal tropical paradise if you are a vacation person and you will cherish every dreamy presence of the endless golden beaches, ruled by coconut palms. The crescent shaped paradise is known for some of the stunning sunrises and sunsets and is great if you plan to go for whale or dolphin watching. It’s the largest fishing port in southern coast and the absence of popular luxury resorts eliminate the commercialization leaving just you and the endless natural beauty of the sea beach.
- Sigiriya –
- Situated on a plateau 600feet above sea level, it’s among the top ancient cities in the island country. The plateau is called Lions Rock as it commands the jungle below and is accessible by stairs and rooms emerging from the lion’s mouth! A great site of archeological importance, it is home to many lovely gardens, ponds, and fountains. You will really cherish the view from the top and the whole location.
- Colombo –
- As a commercial hub in Sri Lanka for more than 20 centuries, Colombo was also the popular harbor for trade between Italy and China in ancient times. Though it’s often called the country’s capital, the legislative capital lies in another city close by. The main centers of attraction include Galle face green which is a long strip of a park on the beach facing the Indian Ocean and the Gangaramaya Temple.
- Nuwara Eliya –
- At an elevation of 6100feet, it’s the tea producing capital of Sri Lanka. You can take a journey through the tea plantations and see how your morning refreshment is made. The hill country town was popular among British colonists and earned the nickname “Little England”.
So, now you have got a mild glimpse of the amazing island country, what are you waiting for? Just set foot on the beautiful island and unlock the amazing natural wonders and go with the flow at the marvelous sea waves of remote beaches, go for activities like rock climbing, dolphin watching, etc.